Professional Foreign Language Interpreting Basics Overview
Professional protocol for interpreters and those who access them in person, by phone or remote video.
The FuzeVRI series provides detailed information about basic foreign language interpreting protocol; including practical application of videoconferencing (or video remote interpreting - VRI) when an interpreter is needed in a home office, healthcare or business office setting.
This video series is intended to educate aspiring and current foreign language interpreters and interpreter service users to apply professional standards to in-person, over-the-telephone, and video-remote interpreting (VRI) when each are considered a best option. This series promotes professional conduct whenever an interpreter is needed, and focuses on HIPAA safeguards to PHI and other Risk Management enhancements.
This aims to solidify the interpreter's commitment to pursuing excellence in their role as an interpreter. Emphasizing the essentials of unbiased and transparent communication, personal testimonies punctuate a variety of interpreting expectations in healthcare, law enforcement and legal settings, social service organizations and business situations. It should be a valuable tool for continued education, as an online course, or a modular supplement to classroom education.
15 sets of quiz questions are included as part of FuzeVRI's learning experience.
Category: Foreign Language Basics
How do I sign up?
- Begin by enrolling here: Take Me to the FuzeVRI Modular Training Series
What are the requirements?
- An interest in the proper use of foreign language Interpreter Services or cross-cultural communication or
- (For Interpreters or bilingual individuals) demonstrable fluency in two or more languages.
What am I going to get from this course?
- Over 33 lectures and 1.5 hours of content! Plus 15 short quizzes to enhance retention.
- In this course, you will learn best practices for professional interpreting in a medical, business, and legal setting as well as effective set-up and protocol for telephonic and VRI from a home or business office. By the end of the course, you will be able to set up your own VRI home office and promote your skills to others. Interpreter service users will be able to identify and assist in the application of these professional standards. HIPAA, PHI, and prevention of overfamiliarity are addressed, among other medical and legal Interpreter Ethics. Conference interpreting may be addressed in a subsequent series.
- Risk Management teams who identify interpreters to assist individuals with limited English proficiency (LEP) should find this series to be a handy tool for serving underserved populations, furthering their organization's compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 with respect to individuals with Limited English Proficiency ("LEP individuals").
What is the target audience?
- Medical, Legal and Business Professionals
- Social Workers and Teachers with parents whose proficiency in English is limited (LEP).
- Interpreters and aspiring interpreters who wish to interpret in medical, legal or business settings will benefit greatly from this course.
- Law enforcement and healthcare (doctors, nurses, dentists and social workers, etc.) providers will also benefit from this knowledge base. This course may be used for continuing education and as a modular supplement to in-person interpreter training.
- Risk Management Teams seeking to meet JCAHO compliance standards by providing meaningful Interpreter Services to underserved and/or LEP populations
- Other Risk Management designees.
- (Please contact your local association as to whether this course can qualify as, or be used to supplement your continuing education course. Inquiries may be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org).
My whole staff needs this! Can I use this for them?
- Yes. Be sure to verify whether this will qualifying locally for CE credits and for special discounts for large bulk orders, special language needs, and multi-user packages at email@example.com.
How do I sign up to view the course?
- Open this link now, Take Me There!